Friday, 25 January 2013

Film Review Friday: Gangster Squad [2013]


This week me and Lauren went to see Ruben Fleischer's, 'Gangster Squad'. Before going to see the film I received no information, of course I knew it was a gangster film, that was a no brainer and that it was set in the 50s but that was it, I entered the cinema with a completely open mind.

The film is based on a true and very basic storyline about a secret crew of police officers led by two determined sergeants to work together with an effort to take down the gangster mob king, Mickey Cohen (Sean Penn) who runs Los Angeles.....and that's basically it. Oh, and the police officers have family lives at home to consider.

Because of this basic no brainer (apologies) storyline it was a given the film would be full of entertainment value to keep the viewer engaged. This certainly worked, with high violence scenes with blood and gore, and of course the impressive cast. The sudden heart throb Ryan Gosling, who fitted the role as the young police officer well, and the gorgeous Emma Stone (to name a few).

For me the props and wardrobe department was keeping me engaged. I love live action that has been set in the 50s, the style always looks so nice on screen making every shot look great through the camera lens. But I have to say, some scenes had a real vibrance to them, effectively making the actors look unrealistic.

The film is well produced gangster film, which is highly entertaining, and I was glad it was short and sweet  However, I don't think it will go down in history as being one of the great gangster films, against the big guns, such as The Godfather and Good Fellas.

Have you seen it, what did you think?

More film reviews.

MH x 

No comments: