Thursday, 20 December 2012

Thursday Tunes: The XX @ Brixton Academy

Sunday 16th December me and Lauren went to Brixton Academy to see The XX, I unfortunately missed them at Bestival this year, therefore I was rather excited to see them this time round.


I have never been to a concert for a quiet intimate show (I guess not so intimate at Brixton Academ), so I was intrigued to find out how the show will pan out.

During the change over for The XX after the support a full white curtain went down to cover up the stage, giving a lovely theatrical look which got me really excited. The XX took to the stage right on time (as I expected) and kicked things off with Coexist. It was a wonderful song to start with, the band hand the crowd in their hands straight away with everyone singing with Romy during the choruses.

This set the tone for the rest of the show. Every track sounded wonderful in the venue with the crowd singing along to the soft vocals of Romy. Once each song had finished there was dead silence in the venue, it was wonderful to witness, you could tell the crowd were really listening and enjoying every possible moment. Some points the crowd irrupted into applauding the band.

I will say one thing, some of the songs sounded exactly the same to the album, which of course is fine...it shows how talented they are. However it did raise the realisation that this sounded like someone was just playing the album on a loud PA system. Of course I looked passed this opinion, and kept on listening. You could hear all the vocals perfectly due to the quiet crowd intensely listening on, bliss.

Here is a playlist of a few tracks I filmed from the night to give you an idea on how things went down.


If you are a fan of The XX, and looking to see them, I suggest you do it soon.

Also, are you going to attend their Night and Day festivals, the venue for Berlin at Spreepark looks bloody amazing, I would love to shoot a music video in there!

MH x

No comments: