Monday, 12 November 2012

My surprise holiday to Amsterdam


In last week's post I mentioned how I was off for a surprise holiday thanks to Lauren for my birthday, and I am sure if you follow me on Instagram you would have worked out the holiday was to Amsterdam!

We spent 4 relaxing days over in the jammed backed whacky city, I had been before and have been wanting to go back ever since, therefore very excited after finding out the surprise. 

Lauren had never been before, therefore I showed her around the city a little on the first day, of course taking her to the Red Light District. After seeing it all before, the area still comes to a shock at how open it is, and not hidden due to the explicitly of it all. The area all feels like a obscure theme park. 

Our time was spent with a lot of walking and exploring the city and relaxing in bars with a nice beer or a coffee. I just love the architecture and how small the city is. Which resulted in stumbling across some familiar areas after the first day. Walking from one side to the city to the other is so easy. 

We took a trip to the Heineken Experience to gain ourselves two free pints, and an interesting look into the history of the company. After visiting the tour I have to say my love for Heineken has significantly grown.

Before arrive in Amsterdam Lauren had discovered Blood Red Shoes were playing whilst we were in the city, I had never seem them before so we had to get tickets. The show was great, Steve and Laura play perfectly together, and it stills blow me away how heavy Lauras guitar playing can sound! Also, this was our first time seeing a show abroad, so a whole new experience for the both of us. 

They performed at the Paradiso, which is a converted church. We discovered the venue has held sets for an impressive selection of bands for instance; Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rolling Stones, Metallica, Florence and the Machine...the list is endless. 
Of course I recorded some songs from the set, which can be found here and here.

I enjoyed my whole time in the city, and I think I have to go back, I just love the culture over their, it's very casual and laid back. And ultimately everything is just so nice to look at. 

Now for some photos!

A cheese show gave our free samples.
We went there everyday!

This was the majority of the first day.

I could have taken to many of these photos!

Me on the last day.

Lauren (hiding) on the last day!

Have you ever been?

MH x 

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Glad you had fun :) xxx