Friday, 11 May 2012

Film Review Friday [Untraceable, 2008]

Untraceable tells the story of FBI agent Jennifer Marsh (Diane Lane) who is tasked to hunt down a seemingly untraceable serial killer who posts live videos of his victims on the Internet. As time runs out, the cat and mouse chase becomes more personal.

I remember this film getting cinema release and I was intrigued to watch it, as the story interested me (not for my own personal ideas).  I enjoy a bonkers storyline, which you could perhaps in extreme cases these ideas could happen in the real work, like the Saw saga and Hannibal. I'm not a fan of the horror/thrillers that include monsters and ghosts. 

With this interest in the back of my mind I began watching the film with high expectations. However, I have to be honest this was lowered swiftly from the start, as the script and ideas were a bit unrealistic. Jennifer starts the film off in her office with her partner in crime, Griffin Dowd (Colin Hanks) cracking down on some cybercrime, which to be honest seemed a little too easy and quick. Now I am not a cybercrime expert, however I would not be surprised if cracking down on cybercrime is not that easy to achieve. 

I let this introduction to the film wash over and not take me down too much. However, there was more elements to knock down my expectations further, and that was the acting. I felt the actors were all a little 'wooden' to watch. All their lines seemed to be delivered a little too forced, meaning their characters were not believable, this gave the impression the shooting was rushed, letting the actors only deliver their lines only once on set, with no retakes. 

Having said all this, I was still enjoying the backbone of the story, with the website broadcasting Owen Reilly's (Joseph Cross) live murders (again not to give myself ideas). I felt this concept was original, and fitting with our ever growing internet culture. Also like every crime film I enjoyed the ending segment when all the evidences are pieced together solving the puzzle, this part of any crime film interests me greatly. 

MH x 



No comments: