Wednesday, 4 April 2012

More clutter on Facebook

Throughout university I really enjoyed using Facebook, it was a great method to interact with the new people I had met, and perfect for finding out the next night out and other such events. Furthermore it was a great tool to keep in touch with family and friends from back home. Following onto the introduction of Twitter I swiftly switched over and found myself logging into Facebook considerably less, only using Facebook to keep up with people back at home. I felt I succeeded to found all my friends and family on there, and now the site was getting filled with content that was not necessary, therefore I only logged in when I needed to make contact with someone, or someone contacted me.

Over the last few months I have discovered the content that is not necessary has increased dramatically. I find posts on my timeline explaining someone has read a certain article, and then explaining elsewhere another person chose these words on game the, 'Word With Friends' - I really do not think these updates are necessary to be on my timeline.

Furthermore yesterday I read the article on Mashable about Tumblr integrating Facebook's timeline with updates getting fed through from Tumblr post straight onto your Timeline. That is fine due to it being better read these posts rather than what strategy is being used on games. However not only Tumblr posts but likes and replies on other posts will be fed from Tumblr to your timeline.

All these integrations to Facebook are becoming ridiculous, these moments I decide to log into Facebook and check up on my friends I find myself digging through all the feeds from elsewhere just to find a status from a friend which 9 times out of 10 turns out to not be that important.

This looks like Facebook is turning into a 24/7 RSS Feed updating what you are doing elsewhere outside Facebook, and taking the site away from the original idea to help connect with friends, which it used to do very well 3 years ago.

There is just far too much clutter.

MH x

PS. My new schedule will start from Monday 9th April

No comments: