Monday, 26 March 2012

Week 8 film I haven't seen [Closer, 2004]


Some how me and Lauren have managed to miss out on weeks of film watching, thankfully we have got back on track. This week it was her choice, here is her review:


So we kind of fell off the new years resolution wagon ever so slightly, woopsy! This week, however, we got back on it and watched a film we'd never seen before! It was my turn to choose, and so I picked Closer (2004). To be honest, before watching the film, I didn't really know much about it at all except that it had Natalie Portman (massive girl crush!) in it, as well as some other great actors (Jude Law, Clive Owen and Julia Roberts.)

I expected to get a bit lost with the storyline, but in fact, quite the opposite happened. I was completely sucked into the film, and I didn't miss a trick! I liked how the story was set over a considerable time period, as it made it more realistic and much easier to relate to than a film where all the action takes place in the space of two days! Natalie Portman's performance as the vulnerable and needy Alice was probably my favourite, especially towards the end of the film. Her character was really intriguing to me, and I really liked how there was always an air of mystery surrounding her and everything she did. We never really get to know Alice - this belief is only confirmed further at the end. This was closely followed by Clive Owen's portrayal of his character, as we witnessed him go from someone totally decent and good to an obsessive, scheming lunatic, and it only seems the web of deceit he's been brought into is to blame for this.

At the end, to be honest, I felt really sad. Even though it was a really good film, it just made me wonder whether everybody lies and is deceitful to the extent shown here in real life. But then I thought...it's just a film. And then hoped that the majority of people in real life are much nicer! 

If you haven't seen Closer, I'd definitely recommend it! Not too complex and a very interesting storyline! 


MH x 

No comments: