Wednesday, 21 March 2012

It is time to move on

Over the last 8 years or so I have always listened to BBC Radio 1 whenever choosing to switch on the radio. During the last few years of school I would come home and listen to The Chris Moyles Show whilst completing my homework for the day (yes...I liked to get it over and done with). I enjoyed his afternoon show of humorous chats and current music now and again. I especially liked his 'don't care' attitude, with him controlling the show and making it his own, abusing the news readers and sometimes special guests on the show, of course all done in a lighthearted manner.

I continued to be a regular listener to The Chris Moyles Show when he switched over to the morning slot, as I prefer to wake up to music. However over the last year or so I have realised my enjoyment of his breakfast show has rapidly deteriorated.

Throughout the last year this deterioration has grown stronger and stronger with the realisation the show is unmistakably too structured. I know radio shows need to have these structures as I used to present a radio show for my universities radio station, SMUC Radio. However my opinion is the organised structure comes across far too rehearsed, which unfortunately makes the listening become little too familiar and dare I say it...boring.

Every morning when I wake up getting ready to head off to work I hear the same jokes getting recycled, and with his added team the conversations and discussions don't quite come across genuine. The only thing I look forward to is the news bulletin every 30 minutes, which to be fair isn't exactly the best piece of news to start your morning. When I have to wake up later in the day for work I hear some of Fearne Cottons late morning show, which again I used to like, however even her show I find a little boring. Her show comes across a little less structured compared to The Chris Moyles Show. Unfortunately I believe she is not strong enough to be the only one chatting throughout the show. The stories and topic of discussions do not interest me, and seem irrelevant to anything...I think she needs a co presenter. Although I do like her taste in music, which brings me on to the next point.

The final straw came this morning when I realised how awful the music selection is on Radio 1, I have always known their music playlist to be not too pleasing (and this is stations with far worse). I think this morning the pin dropped and it was time for change.

I have already decided to switch over to Radio 6 Music, unfortunately the only way I can listen to this in the mornings will be with a DAB radio...which are not too cheap when you are living through life on a budget. It will feel like an end of an era, but this will be for the best. I need to discover more music that interests me compared to mainstream forgettable stuff you get in the charts that I do not need to be listening to.

MH x

No comments: