Tuesday, 6 March 2012

Homemade Scones....an attempt.

Last week I was on Cellardoor Magazines blog where I read their entry for a homemade scones recipe. Whilst reading the entry childhood memories came back to me, going round my grandparents house where there was a guarantee batch of scones freshly baked in the kitchen ready on arrival. I will always remember me and my cousin loving them, with jam and a huge tower of 'squirty cream' on top. And of course now I'm older I enjoy them with a nice slop of clotted cream. Therefore I had to attempt my first ever batch of my own, here is the Cellardoor Magazine recipe I followed;


* 225g self raising flour 
* pinch of salt 
* 55g butter 
* 25g caster sugar 
* 150mloz milk 
* 1 free-range egg, beaten

* Heat the oven to 220C
* Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the butter to form tiny crumbs
* Stir in the sugar and milk to get a soft dough.
* Tip onto a well floured work top and knead lightly till it forms a ball.
* Pat out (don’t use a rolling pin as you’ll squeeze too much air out) till it’s 2cm thick.
* Use a 5cm scone cutter and place the rounds on a lightly greased baking sheet.
* Knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones till it’s all used up.
* Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg.
* Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden.
With my scones I added some vanilla flavouring, which I thought helped a lot. 

Here is the final outcome. 
As you can see they do not look anything like a typical scone, in fact Lauren said they looked like little pastries. Thankfully they did taste like a scone; soft on the outside, and crumbly on the inside. However I wasn't totally impressed with the result and I wasn't going to be defeated, therefore tried again the following day.
As you can see the second batch was an improvement, however still not spot on to my liking. The scones were taller and more rounder compared to the first batch. However still not tall and fluffy like I have always remembered my grandmothers to be.

After my second batch failure I pondered over what could have gone wrong both rounds, and I came to the conclusion I may have put too much butter into the mixture, and more importantly I may have flattened the cut outs being too flat to rise.

Before trying again I think a new set of scales is in order, to make the measurements spot on. Currently ingredients are estimated due to the scales difficult and vague readings.

A few weeks ago I managed to make a good batch of homemade chips.

Also remember I have entered the State Bicycle Poster Contest.

MH x


3 comments:

daisychain said...

I haven't made scones in ages, mine always end up super tall *brag*

MatthewHoare said...

I'm very jealous, third times a charm, I think I will nail it!

Lauren said...

I thought they were nice! :) xxx