Tuesday, 13 March 2012

Apple and Blackberry Crumble

Over the weekend I cooked up my first ever roast dinner, I thought starting with the basic would be perfect for me, and chose to attempt the perfect roast chicken for me and Lauren accompanied with roasted veg. Which turned out to be a huge success.

To finish I had a homemade apple and blackberry crumble for pudding, and again that was amazing. Here is the recipe I followed.

For the filling
900g/2lb bramley apples
350-400g/12oz-1lb blackberries
175g/6oz demerara sugar

For the topping
225g/8oz plain flour
175g/6oz butter
55g/2oz demerara sugar

Preparation method
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Peel, core and chop the apples into small chunks.
- Layer the apples, blackberries, and sugar in a large pie dish (a lasagne dish is ideal).
- Place the flour in a large bowl and then rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs
- Use a spoon to sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the fruit.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the fruit is cooked and bubbling juices seep through the topping.
- Cool for a few minutes and then serve with custard or fresh cream.

A little tip would to not pat down the crumble on top of the fruit too much, as mine turned out little too compact, therefore making the dessert a little less crumbly than desired. Also I added a splash of vanilla flavouring to the crumble topping, which gave it all little something extra.

Here is the end result:

Also I chose ice cream instead of cream, of course a dollap of cream would have been better, but the ice cream was just so cheap and within my budget. 

MH x 


2 comments:

daisychain said...

YUM! I love crumble, especially with icecream. My personal favourite is rhubarb...or pear and dark chocolate with ginger in the topping.

MatthewHoare said...

oh no i actually really hate rhubarb lol i really not a fan of the texture.
the pear dark chocolate and topping sounds nice :)