Wednesday, 22 February 2012

Week 6 film I haven't seen [Easy A, 2010]

This weeks film choice was Laurens, so its her turn to review (saves me a job) 

This week, we watched Easy A! I mainly picked this film for us to watch because my last choice (I'm Not There) confused me and made for very heavy viewing! So I thought I'd choose a nice teen comedy, which was sure to be an easy (ha!) watch.

I must admit, I didn't expect the film to be that good, but actually I was proven wrong! The film is based upon the novel The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne, and the book actually features quite a bit throughout. I liked this idea a lot, as it's probably about as educational as a romcom can be!

Of course, it followed the usual pattern, with everything going horribly wrong after Olive, played by Emma Stone, tells a little white lie about losing her virginity, which soon becomes talk of the whole school. Of course, the usual happens and she's left with no friends, and a bad reputation...But instead of trying to shake off her slutty image, she embraces it and starts coming to school dressed as a stripper, taking payments from unpopular peers to have pretend sex with them, which ultimately turns the boys into heroes, but leaves her social status in ruins. Of course, there was an eventual happy ending, but if we have learnt anything at all, the moral of the story is do not lie!

I really loved the wit and warmth that Emma Stone brought to Olive's character, her performance definitely made the film for me! I also had no idea that Penn Badgley (Gossip Girl's Dan Humphrey) was in it so that made it all the more enjoyable!

Easy A easily gets a thumbs up from me :)

Week 5 film review

2 comments:

daisychain said...

Yeah, so, if I listed the films I haven't seen...I'd have enough to last several life times, I've seen shamefully few. This one can be added to the "watch soon" list though.

MatthewHoare said...

Are you not to sit dow and watch a film?
I love a good film at the end of the evening :)