Thursday, 2 February 2012

Week 4 film I haven't seen [I'm Not There, 2007]



This weeks film choice was my girlfriends, so that only means one thing. Her time to review....

I've probably owned I'm Not There for a few years, but have never found the time to watch it. I was very aware of the fact that watching it might take quite a bit of brain power so I think that's why I hadn't seen it until last week.

I'm Not There was made in 2007, and is focussed around 6 characters who embody a different aspect of Bob Dylan's life. The characters weren't meant to be Bob himself, which confused me at first, because I thought it was going to be a film in the style of Control, a biopic about Joy Division's Ian Curtis, just with more actors playing the role of Bob at different stages in his life.

I was impressed by the great actors that were on board for the film (Christian Bale, Heath Ledger etc) but my favourite just had to be Cate Blanchett. I must say, I had doubts of how she'd portray a man successfully on screen, but she absolutely blew me away. She had Dylan and his mannerisms down to a tee, and actually looked very much like him as well. Her character was definitely my favourite, closely followed by Heath Ledger's, which was also pretty interesting, I found. I also really liked the way the film was shot, especially when it was in black and white documentary style.

I think, to fully 'get' the film, I'd probably have to watch it again because I spent most of the film completely confused. But it's definitely an interesting one to watch, just make sure your brain is switched on before you press play!

 Week 3 film review

No comments: