Tuesday, 3 January 2012

Weight Watchers advert/music video

On the 1st January 2012 Weight Watchers aired an  advert at 6:30pm on multiple terrestrial TV channels, including Channel 4 and ITV. This was the longest British TV commercial, setting the bar at just over 3 minutes.

I only knew of this happening from catching the end of a short advert a week before mentioning this date of airing. Straight away I took note of this happening, as I remember a few years back stumbling on a live TV commercial broadcast from Honda aired on Channel 4, which I thought was a great piece of clever advertising.

Like the Honda advert I was impressed with what Weight Watchers offered us. The advert consisted of genuine people (mainly women) who had been on the Weight Watchers scheme and succeeded in their goals. The women walk around the streets singing to the camera with Stritcly Come Dancings, Alesha Dixon.

The whole advert is constructed together with continuous sequences giving you the impression of their being no cuts throughout (of course there are cuts hidden with camera movements). This impressed me from the get go, as I always enjoy this technique in video. Like the music from Goldfrapp 'Happiness' and I especially enjoy these scenes when they are stretched out for a long period of time, for instance in Goodfellas when 'Henry Hill' enters a restaurant.

I had a quick searched on Google for a copy of the advert to embed into this blog post, however there was no result. I was hoping to show you if you didn't catch the advert, because If you missed the advert, well...you did miss out a nice clever piece of advertising (apart from the song). And If you did catch the advert, leave a comment telling me what you thought of it.

MH x

No comments: