Tuesday, 10 January 2012

Jean Teulé - 'The Suicide Shop' [SHORT REVIEW]

For my birthday back in October my housemate gave me Jean Teulés 'The Suicide Shop' as a present. Judging by the blurb and the quotes I instantly thought it would be an entraining read.

Even though the book is a very short read at under 170, I managed to stretch it out over a staggering two months (takes me a while to get through books, but not because I'm a slow reader).

The book tells the story of the family owned business, 'The Suicide Shop. Selling various interesting and quirky items to assist the local people of the town to kill themselves.

The book plays out as a dark comedy, describing how deranged the family is. Being constantly negative towards life, never wanting to show positivity amongst themselves. Apart from their youngest song who was a mistake to the parents.

The story does have some comical moments, with how descriptive the selling of the items kill their customers. And the whole concept of the shop helping to kill people is of course a comical concept.

However, I was not fully gripped with the story, this may be due to me reading the story over a longer period of time than I should of (due to a number of reasons). Feeling like I was just reading a book about a families daily routines running a shop, with some comedy aspects to help me not get bored.

There is a nice twist in story which I wasn't able to predict (I never can) which improved the story for a moment. However I still didn't find the book engaging, finding myself wanting to get through the book and move onto the next read.

If your interested in a quick read one weekend then pick this one up and enjoy it, but maybe do not decide to read the book over a month like myself.

MH x

1 comment:

Larry V.Wood said...

It is in point of fact a nice and helpful piece of info. I'm satisfied that you simply shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.
OES Genuine Hazard Flasher Switch for select Audi TT/TT Quattro models